Tuesday, June 26, 2012

I come to your house...I shoot all your cats.

First off, I have an amazing job. We have a spectacular rental department and just in... the D800. Normally I'm not a big digital shooter, but I'm always willing to try new things. This week, I borrowed Nikon's new power house of a camera and an 85mm lens with the intention of taking some portraits of friends and pets. For the first 45 minutes of having this camera in my hands, I hated it. I couldn't find the mode dial and I found this incredibly frustrating (After the camera and I had some time with each other, I found the dial organization more to my liking). This is where a little patience and reading comes in handy. I was out of my league and I knew it. But that's okay, learning happened and I ended up getting some pretty good shots.

It is incredibly easy to snap away with this camera. Because I had such a high volume of photographs, editing them down took a lot longer...but I couldn't help myself while I was shooting. I didn't have to worry about the cost of film or development, stopping to reload, or any of that. snap snap snap over and over again. As far as the image quality goes..this might sound a little silly coming from someone who shoots medium format film, but I'm not convinced I actually need a 36 megapixel camera..or probably about 80% of it's features. I'm normally easily pleased with just the basic functions of a camera. That said, I'm pretty sure you could program the D800 to make your morning coffee. Definitely out of my comfort zone, but I would LOVE more time with this camera.

and now for some pictures of cats:





No comments:

Post a Comment